- A Cognitive Strategies Approach to Reading and Writing Instruction for EL Ls in Sec.
The authors, Olson and Land received honors in 2009 for this article on the research conducted by PATHWAYS, an 8 year project that led to very significant gains in writing by secondary ELLs.
- Colorín Colorado :: English Language Learners in Middle and High School
This 45-minute webcast is a thorough introduction to the challenges facing teachers of English language learners in middle and high school. Dr. Short will discuss how to teach content to late-entry English language learners and how to ensure reading comprehension for success in all content areas.
- Colorín Colorado :: Watch & Learn in the ELL Classroom
Professional Development for ELL Educators Colorín Colorado is pleased to present this online professional development series for middle and high school ELL educators, Watch & Learn! Funded by the American Federation of Teachers, Watch & Learn presents four video modules featuring strategies from secondary ELL classrooms and interviews with experts on ELL best practices.
- Enabling Academic Success for Students wtih Limited Formal Schooling
A study of the Haitian Literacy Program at the Hyde Park High School in Boston
- English Language Learners in Middle and High School (Webcast)
Featuring Dr. Deborah Short discussing effective instructional strategies for teaching English language learner students in middle and high school. Additional resources for related articles and books are included.
- ESL Resources
This list of ESL resources was prepared by Washington State University. The links are most appropriate for secondary or adult learners. Many focus on survival language and grammar. The emphasis is primarily English a second language, not content-based or sheltered ESL.
- ESL Resources, Handouts and Exercises for Students and Teachers
We have many different materials for English as a Second Language (ESL) students and teachers, which include resource pages, handouts, and exercises.
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University houses writing resources and instructional material, and we provide these as a free service of the Writing Lab at Purdue. Students, members of the community, and users worldwide will find information to assist with many writing projects.
by 3 users
- Hampton-Brown's Edge
This is a new (2007) comprehensive ESL program for high school ELLs developed by Hampton-Brown
- Illinois Center for Specialized Professional Support (ICSPS)
This website was developed with grants from the Illinois Community College Board and the Illinois State Board of Education and funded through Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006. See the brochure in Illinois Support. (LEP is an older term for ELLs)
- Improving Literacy Outcomes for English Language Learners in High School
WestED: Considerations for States and Districts in Developing a Coherent Policy Framework By: Nanette Koelsch
- In the Classroom: Secondary
In the Classroom • a Toolkit for Effective Instruction of English Learners Grade level content: 7-12/Secondary Valerie Barron
- Meeting the Literacy Development Needs of Adolescent ELLs Through Content Area Reading Pt. I
Focus on Motivation and Engagement Julie Meltzer & Edmund T. Hamann, Education and Alliance: Brown University
- Meeting the Literacy Development Needs of ELLs through Content-Area Lerning : Part II
Focus on Classroom Teaching and Learning Strategies Julie Meltzer and Edmund T. Hamann, Education Alliance, Brown University 100 page pdf. Very comprehensive
- Older Struggling English Learners
This is an excerpt from the book Closing the Achievement Gap: How to Reach Limited-Formal-Schooling and Long-Term English Learners by Yvonne S. Freeman, David E Freeman with Sandra Mercuri
- Picture Books for Adult Readers
Picture Books: Enjoyable at Any Age from Literacy Connections. The site includes many other links that support reading for ELLs
- Real English The Best NEW ESL EFL Videos and ESL EFL Lessons.
Real English® is a completely free site for learning social English: Original videos with interactive lessons, an English teacher always present to help you when you need a hand, and a Community of teachers & students learning together.
by 2 users
- Teaching Secondary Language Minority Students
CREDE's Five Standards for Effective Teaching and Learning express the principles of effective pedagogy for all students. Jana Echevarria and Claude Goldenberg discuss applicaitons for secondary ELLs
- The Education Alliance at Brown University: Publications Catalog
Approaches to Writing Instruction for Adolescent English Language Learners: A Discussion of Recent Research and Practice Literature in Relation to Nationwide Standards on Writing English language learners in U.S. middle and high schools face significant challenges from state writing assessments, and data suggest that they do not fare well. This report looks at writing standards for the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, and identifies six major topics and themes in the standards. It also reviews research and practice literature focused on adolescents and second language learning and writing; examines key issues in writing instruction for adolescent ELLs; connects the existing knowledge base to the standards; and recomm
- Trend Watch: Formative Assessments for Secondary ELLs - Learning the Language - Education Week
This blog By Mary Ann Zehr on September 8, 2010 10:14 provides multiple links for resources on secondary ELLs, assessment links as well as support for teaching secondary ELLs to read
- Academic Achievement for Secondary Language Minority Students: Standards, Measures and Promising Practices
General suggestions for secondary mainstream teachers. Vignettes for each content area followed by suggestions. Small font, etc. but relevant info.
1 - 20